The Orb of Power is a highly powerful magical object, and one of the four Arts created by Merlin himself. According to legend, he who possesses all four artifacts would become the Master of Mutantry. Master Intelligence and another mutant, Centauri took this to mean that the uniter of the Arts would be invincible.
Early History Edit
The Arts were originally created by Merlin, who was one of the greatest wizards who were ever known. He passed it down to another wizard shortly before his death.
- The Gladiator: "Haven’t you always wondered what was the reason for the connection between you and the Dark Lord. Why he was unable to kill you when you were just an infant. Don’t you want to know the secret, of your family. All of the answers are there, Master Intelligence, in your hand. Strength beyond your wildest dreams lies in the same source. All you have to do is give it to me, I can show you everything."
- Master Intelligence: "I’ve waited this long […]"
- The Gladiator: "I know."
- Master Intelligence: "Your point? NOW!"
- — The Gladiator trying to get Master Intelligence to hand over the Orb of Power in 2042[src]
The Gladiator greatly desired to use the Orb of Power, believing it would give him the power to avoid his fate and destroy Master Intelligence, but the only people who could retrieve the Orb from the Hall of Domination in Transylvania Quarters were S.M.S.B. members and government officials.
The Gladiator used possession to show Lindsay Kellerman the door to the Hall of Domination in her dreams, expecting the Chosen One to seek it out, but that failed, as Lindsay was kept in the dark regarding the Orb of Power. He entrusted the task of retrieving the orb to Sebastian Lestange, who separately possessed Russell Stewart and Fredrick Powell but failed; Stewart was caught and sent to Yeracade Prison, while Powell triggered the Orb’s safeguards, sending him to NYC Hospital, forcing the Knights of Plague to send him a set of Dark vines to silence him.
With this information, the Dark Lord planted a vision in Lindsay’s mind of the Knights of Plague preparing to obliterate North America, counting on Lindsay to rally the others and go stop him. Sure enough, Lindsay, joined by Master Intelligence, Sebiscuits, Telekinibabe, Baby Strength, Force Baby, Andromeda, and Red X, journeyed to Transylvania Quarters in order to destroy the Bomb, but when they got there they discovered it was nowhere to be found. Telekinibabe, however, found the Orb of Power on row 47.
However, the Knights of Plague lay in wait until he had done so and then gave chase through Transylvania Quarters, attempting to take the Orb from him. It was eventually smashed in a skirmish during the Battle of Transylvania taking place in the Death Chamber when it fell from the Gladiator’s hand and into the abyss, where it was destroyed (though Master Intelligence helped by kicking it overboard).
Physical appearance Edit
The Orb of Power is small and can be held in one’s hand easily. It is perfectly spherical in shape, and contains a swirling, blueish-grey mist within. The orb is warm to the touch, even though the atmosphere of the Hall of Domination is described as being cold. This may suggest that the Orb itself absorbs heat. Upon being smashed or broken apart, a ghostly apparition of the creator (Merlin) will appear and fade.
- Before The SMSB: When is Prehistory?
- Before The SMSB: Why Has The Storm Ceased?
- The X-Adults: Endgame: The Latest Threat
Notes and References Edit