Mind resistance is the act of using one's powers to close one's mind against possession. It is ancient, and has existed since medieval times. It can prevent a mind invader from accessing one's thoughts and feelings, or influencing them. A person who practices this art is known as a Shielder.
- "I told you to empty yourself of emotion! ... Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance against the light! Your heart will be penetrated with absurd ease, Barty!"
- ―Annabeth on the difficulty of learning mind resistance[src]
The most basic form of mind resistance, judging from Annabeth's early lessons on the subject to Bartholomew Gales, involves clearing one's mind — making it "blank and empty" — in order to prevent a mind invader from perceiving one's emotions and thoughts. More advanced mind resistance involves suppressing only the thoughts, emotions, and memories that would contradict whatever it is an Shielder wishes a mind invader to believe; hence, it is not obvious that mind resistance is being used even if the person is lying. It requires a great deal of willpower, as with resisting telekinesis, as well as a high degree of mental and emotional discipline. It is also one method of resisting the influence of Turan.
Mind resistance is not part of the normal curriculum taught at Superhero School and appears to be a rare and difficult skill.
- "Used properly, the power of mind resistance will help shield you from conscience or influence. In these lessons I will penetrate your mind. You will attempt to resist me. Prepare yourself!"
- ―Annabeth during Bartholomew Gales' mind resistance lesson[src]
Early History Edit
The power of mind resistance is ancient, having existed since at least the 15th century.
In 2010, Hell Burnbottom trained his brothers, Brute Gunray and Mean King in mind resistance. They became skilled enough to repel their parents' attempts at mind resistance. Their success was due to their shutting out compassion to become the criminals they were, making it easy for both of them to close their minds.
In 2017, Mr. Stupid NoHead had Annabeth teach Bartholomew Gales mind resistance in an effort to prevent his mind from being penetrated and influenced by the Light side. Annabeth was a highly skilled Shielder, being able to successfully deceive extremely accomplished mind invader Mr. Stupid NoHead, but her lessons with Bartholomew were ultimately unsuccessful. Barty was not able to repel most attacks, though it is likely that the stressful events in Annabeth's life that year and Bartholomew's mixed feelings towards his young teacher hindered his ability. He eventually gave up attempting to learn. Bartholomew later managed to block his connections, on occasion, by focusing on feelings of love and grief, rather than by using mind resistance.
Annabeth herself also employed mind resistance to hide her own personal conflict from Mr. Stupid NoHead, though it was still easy to trust her.
Known Utilizers Edit
Behind the Scenes Edit
Mind resistance, being a "defense of the mind against external penetration" most likely will make the use of telekinesis against a Shielder reduce its effectiveness, although this is unconfirmed. It does not appear to be a generally offered subject of study at Superhero School. Like attendees there, NoHeads do not learn it in an organized training curriculum, and it is probably only taught in private courses to students who show potential for it.
- Template:TBS (First mentioned)
- Before The S.M.S.B. - Part 1 (first appearance)
- D.I.T. Website - Writing by D. Isaac Thomas: "UNKNOWN ARTICLE - Add to Template:DITW"